Aug 10, 2010

Chapter Two-Part I: Deals

Synopsis:

In Part I, Erik returns to court for the King's birthday. He is surprised that he has already been supplanted by another courtier. Part II offers a few other arrivals at court who cause a stir. Part III shows the King growing more and more confident everyday, until he receives devastating news on his birthday.

Chapter Two
Part I: 1400, Shortly Before the King's 20th Birthday

“Your majesty,” Richard, Duke of Norfolk said, graciously bowing to the King.
Henry nodded, turning back to his sport.



Richard’s smile faltered slightly. “I have come on your majesty’s request?”
Henry aimed and threw. He smiled, hitting his target.



Henry turned quickly and walked over to the Duke. “I have a request to ask your Grace.”
Richard smiled, “Anything, majesty.”
“I need a Lord Chancellor, someone I can trust. You are my wife's brother, you are family. I feel I can trust you. I would like you to fill that office.”


Richard tried to suppress his smile. “I am honored.”
“You will begin your duties immediately!” Henry smiled, returning to his sport.

Richard bowed and walked quickly back to the palace, a small hop in his step.



-------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, the air was cool as Erik's horse lightly trotted through the King's Forest. He remembered fondly teaching young Henry how to hunt here. He was with him when he took down his first buck. He smiled to himself.



In all honesty, the invitation to the King's birthday banquet and celebrations had come as a surprise. It had been two months since he had last spoken to the King. Words were exchanged in anger at their last meeting. However, Erik now knew he had a better way to serve the King than as Lord Chancellor...

The palace loomed out of the morning fog. Surely the King would be up by now. He always rose early for the hunt. Erik’s timing was perfect. He would catch Henry on his way out, certainly in a good mood. Erik tried to ignore the looks he received as he hurried through the Great Hall. He continued on to Henry’s Presence Chamber.

“Guard, I must speak with the King,” Erik said, relieved to finally have stumbled upon a soul.
The guard bowed quickly and went into the King’s Privy Chamber.


A moment later the door opened and Richard, Duke of Norfolk appeared.
Erik was surprised, but walked towards him. “I must speak with the King. I have news,” Erik said.


Richard smiled weakly. “His majesty is...not to be disturbed. A bit of early celebrations has caused him to keep to his bed this morning.”
Erik was surprised. “He has never acted so. Why now?”
“The King is now 20, as you know sir, and feels he can make all of his own choices now. He is young and will learn.” Richard replied.



Erik frowned.
“Is there anything I can help you with?” Richard offered. “I am now the King’s Chancellor and everything that relates to him relates to me.”


Erik’s laughed in surprise. Richard as Lord Chancellor? It was really no surprise when he thought about it, though. He was the Queen’s elder brother after all.


Erik reminded himself of his greater mission.
“I have information on Phillip, Duke of York. Proof that he is a traitor,” Erik said softly.
Richard’s eyebrows rose in interest. “Come into the Privy Chamber. Tell me more.”



Erik followed Richard into the Privy Chamber. He tried to hide his annoyance that Richard sat in the King's chair. His impertinence already made the meeting tense, but he knew Richard could help.



"I have been taken into Philip's confidence and believe I will soon have enough evidence to convict him and his brother of treason," Erik said confidently.



"Very good," Richard replied, a smile on his face. "How long do you think it will take?"
Erik shrugged. I would imagine by Christmas. Philip is quickly mobilizing. He is brash in his confidence."



Richard nodded. "I am pleased by this revelation. Go back to him as if nothing has happened and write to me. I think it best to not inform the king at this time. The King is very young. I fear that if he knew he would act without thinking and Philip would escape the headman's axe."



Erik nodded in agreement.

No comments:

Post a Comment